Tuesday, November 26, 2013

The King, the Prince and the Pauper!!


While the title may be mis-leading, this post is by no means about your next royal boyfriend or any romantic ideas for your future dates. Instead it's about food and healthy dieting!

So I tricked you, however now that I've got your attention, read on:

Over the course of  6-8 months I managed to drop roughly 30 pounds exercising regularly and eating! That's right, eating. There was no extreme dieting or borderline starvation tactics and while I dropped my weight slowly, I managed to adopt a healthy lifestyle without sacrificing some of the foods that I love.

Here's how:

Breakfast like a King:

 Life can be busy and after hitting the snooze button 16 times and finally getting out the door for school or work, the last thing on your mind is getting breakfast.  BIG MISTAKE! I know you've heard it a million times and I am prepared to say it for the millionth and one. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day and is the perfect way to start your morning off right to avoid mood swings and unnecessary snacking.

A heavy, nutritious breakfast is the key to keeping you full longer. Try to avoid fatty dishes and foods high in sugar or "instant" energy. A good example of a nutritious breakfast is a cup of steel-cut oatmeal with fruit or honey, hard-boiled eggs and grain toast. If you choose to add a little honey to your oatmeal, a banana or apple on the side is also a perfect way of getting your fruit count for the day.

 


Lunch like a Prince:

Now if you're like me, I am a girl who likes to pack a lunch for work everyday. Preparing meals over the weekend takes the hassle out of making lunch during the week or having to settle for a not-so healthy option at work. A good lunch meal is a baked sweet potato, grilled chicken and lots of your favorite veggies. If 5 days of eating chicken is not for you, switch things up with a few days of salmon. Easy fix!

This kind of lunch offers good protein, complex carbs and a small amount of fat. Just what you need to keep your day going without piling on calories.


Dine like a Pauper:

While most people are use to eating a big family-style dinner at night, while trying to lose weight and eat healthy, I opted for lighter options. Right after work is usually the time I would hit the gym, so after working out, my meal consisted of protein and veggies or even a fruit smoothie and a waffle with almond butter. This way I still felt satisfied but I wasn't going to bed with a heavy meal on my stomach.
 

Now I know you are probably thinking, "Is this all that I am eating?" Definitely not, snacking throughout the day is only normal but what you snack on is the deal breaker.  Almonds and fruit are a constant staple at my desk. Anytime I am craving something sweet, I eat a banana or maybe a handful of dried fruits and I take in lots of water throughout the day. 

Trust me, I know dieting and trying to lose weight is hard, but the better you eat the better you feel!!! Fueling your body with what it needs for an awesome workout will only help you reap the benefits of a hot summer bod you can rock all-year round!

2 comments:

  1. Great info! I def need to work on not eating so heavy at night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love my big pasta dinners at night. Something that can put me to bed like a deep hibernation. Let's see if a smoothie can achieve the same slumbers :) Love your writing style!

    ReplyDelete