Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Sharp as a Knife



In addition to being healthy and feeling well physically, one of my primary areas of interest is maintaining mental acuity.  Over the years, I have read several studies that indicate different ways to boost your brain's sharpness and most of which are no-brainers.  Of course we've all heard that reading, learning something new and playing strategic games helps but I was just introduced to a new tip that I've been trying for myself! 

In reading last month's issue of Vitality for Life, I stumbled on an article that provided tips for how to keep your brain in tip-top condition.  The one suggestion that I had never been introduced to was the notion of using your non-dominant so that you can shake your brain out of the routine that it is used to.  I've been trying this for the last two weeks and I have to say, it definitely shakes my mind out of the cruise control state that I can normally operate in.  

Initially, I started with easy tasks as suggested in the article like brushing my teeth with my left hand and crossing my left leg over my right.  I've worked up to being able to text at a decent rate left-handed and even operate a lighter! 



If you want to try this out, you will be amazed at how more thought is required to work with your non-dominant hand.  I would suggest starting with tasks that require gross motor movements like carrying your bag with the opposite hand or drinking out of a water bottle.  Then, build your way up to the big league! You will be surprised at the difference a hand can make. 

1 comment:

  1. I dont smoke, but I think my first task will be trying to use a lighter with my left hand. Maybe to light the grill for some carne asada? Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete